Calvary Baptist Church is an independent Baptist Church. Our beliefs are founded on the following basic teachings from the Bible:
1. We believe that the Bible is the plenary, verbally inspired Word of God. It is His revelation to man, inerrant in its original writing, therefore the supreme authority in faith and in life. By this we mean the miraculous guiding of the Holy Spirit in the original writing, extending to all points of scripture equally and applying even to the choice of words. That this revelation was completed in what is known to us as our Bible and to which nothing has been, nor will be, added. We believe that the Scriptures in the English language as preserved in the King James Version are sufficiently clear and pure in their wording.
- 2Tim 3:16-17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
2. We believe in the only, one, true God, Jehovah, eternally existing in three persons: The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit.
- Mt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
3. We believe in the incarnation and virgin birth of the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God and God Himself, His bodily death on the cross for our sins, His bodily resurrection and ascension into Heaven.
- Mt 1:23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.
- 1Cor 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
- Acts 1:9 And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight.
4. We believe in the blessed hope of the imminent return of The Lord. We believe that this present age will end with a series of prophetic events, beginning with the rapture of believers followed by seven years of tribulation (simultaneous with the Marriage Supper of The Lamb) then the second coming with the saints to reign in righteousness over the earth for a thousand years.
- 1Th 4:16-17 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
- Mt 24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
- Re 20:6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.
5. We believe that the Holy Spirit is a person, distinct and separate from the Father and the Son yet wholly God as part of the Trinity. He convicts the world of sin, He regenerates the sinner upon the acceptance of The Savior and He indwells, enlightens, instructs, and guides the child of God.
- John 16:7-15 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: Of sin, because they believe not on me; Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged. I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you. All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
6. We believe in the creation of man as a direct act of God. We believe that man was created to glorify God. We believe that sin entered the world through the direct act of disobedience by the first man, Adam, by whom all of humanity has inherited a sin nature. As a result, sinful man is incapable of fellowship with a Holy God, therefore man is destined not only to a physical death but also a spiritual death which is eternal separation from God. Because of his depravity man is in need of a Savior to pay the debt of sin that he is utterly unable to pay himself . Only by the Savior Jesus Christ is a man restored into the fellowship that God originally intended for His creation.
- Rev 4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.
- Rom 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
7. We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures…vicariously, purposely as a substitutionary sacrifice, and that all who trust Him as Savior are justified by His shed Blood alone, which redeems our sin. By receiving The Lord Jesus Christ as Saviour we are born again by the Holy Spirit, and thereby become a child of God with all of the rights and priviledges that entails as a joint heir with the begotten Jesus. That regeneration (new birth) is obtained by grace on the single ground of faith in the shed blood of Christ.
- Rom 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
- Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
8. We observe two ordinances as outlined in Scripture. Baptism by immersion in the name of The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit and the Lord’s Supper (Communion). We believe that all who have exercised faith in Christ as Saviour are instructed to observe these two ordinaces.
A. Baptism is to occur after salvation as an outward sign of the inward decision to accept Christ, therefore we do not baptize babies.
- Acts 10:48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord.
- Acts 8:36-38 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
B. The Bible does not define when or how often the Lord’s Supper is to be observed so that is left to the discretion of the pastor. Unleavened bread is used because leaven represents sin, therefore we use matza bread or unleavened communion wafers to represent the Body of Christ. Since leaven is used in the fermentation process we believe that using wine to represent the sinless Blood of Christ would be a flawed representation. The juice should be unleavened and therefore unfermented as well so we use 100% pure grape juice to represent the pure Blood of our Savior.
- 1Cor 11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord’s death till he come.
9. We believe that the Scriptures clearly teach non-conformity to a sinful world for every believer; that it is incumbent for believers to live their lives in a way that would be pleasing to God and absent of sinful deeds. We believe that sinful behavior involves the loss of joy, peace and fellowship; hinders the violator’s testimony to the world and incurs the chastening of the Lord. We believe that obedience begins with an awareness of the The Holy Spirit’s leading, daily Bible study and prayer. Regular church attendance and active participation in the activities and ministries of your local church as well as regular counsel with the spiritual authority God has placed in your life will keep you vitally able to live a life well pleasing to God.
- 1Sam 15:22 And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams.
10. We believe in a literal Heaven and a literal Hell. Heaven is a place of eternal personal fellowship with God, while Hell is the eternal place of separation from God and punishment for all those who reject the Lord Jesus Christ as personal Saviour. We believe that Hell was not created for man because man was created for fellowship with God, but was rather created for Lucifer and his demons. Hell will be a man’s destination only by rejecting the gift of eternal life freely offered to every soul.
- John 14:2-3 In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
- Mt 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
- 2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
11. We believe that Satan is real, powerful, deceitful, the prince of demons, the ruler of this world and that he seeks the destruction of all men. Satan hates God therefore he hates all mankind because all men are created in the image of God. Satan is not omnipotent, omniscient nor omnipresent therefore he must enlist demons to do his bidding throughout the world. We believe that Satan is the god of this age and has his end in the eternal lake of fire. We believe the Saved need not fear him, because “He that is in me is greater than he that is in the world.”
- 1Pe 5:8 ¶ Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
- Isa 14:12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.